The Grand was originally built in 1911, making it one of the city’s oldest cinema. It was a movie theater until 1975, and then used as a church until 2015. The building, now owned by the city, attracted the interest of many of Riverwest’s performer residents. An idea took root: could this abandoned building provide affordable performance and rehearsal space Milwaukee’s performing arts groups needed?
The answer to that question is on our Grand Imagination page.